Steamed Rice rawa dumplings is a popular konkani breakfast recipe made instantly ..
Its also known by other name as Pundi / Undi / Oondi /Kayee Kadbu….
Here a rice rawa mixture is steam cooked and served with chutney or with chicken /fish curries or with any vegetable spicy curries..
• 1 cup Rice Rawa
•1/2 -3/4 cup fresh grated coconut (if used more enhances more taste nd dumplings becomes soft)
• 2 cups Water as required (or little more)
•1 tsp coconut oil /normal oil
•salt as per taste
▪ Wash and drain rice rawa and set aside for few minutes say about 15 -30 minutes or can use instantly
▪ Heat a thick kadai add water boil well,to this add oil, salt as per taste.
▪lower the flame ,add washed rawa to it mix well,see that no lumps are formed
▪cook this to a thick dough (let all water evoporate and rawa get cooked,and mixture must leave the pan as seen in pic)
▪ Remove from heat cool this mixture and form small balls as seen in picture with a small impression in center and place in a cooking vessel…
▪Now boil a idli steamer or cooker and steam cook this for about 20 /25minutes
▪Serve with chutney /curries or even pickle tastes delicious with this..
* coconut can be lightly crushed in mixer with its water and used for added taste.
* There is a practice of adding seasoning of oil mustard, urddal,methi seeds ,curry leaves, and broken red chillies before boiling water then rest of theĺ process is same…
*konkanis have a practice of adding coconut oil will eating it.
* This is traditional way of making dumpling ,but you can even add sauted vegetables like peas , finely chopped ginger, chopped greenchillies,finely chopped beans and carrots for making it more healthy and nutritious(I need to try this version yet)….